£38000.00 - £42000.00 per annum + pension & meals
17 days ago
Hays Senior Finance
A CCAB qualified accountant is required for a new and exciting role at Pembroke College.
Your new company
Pembroke College, a college in the University of Oxford, has a clear vision of the future and strategy for achieving it. The College is a world leading Academic hub at the centre of a World's leading University. It is the College's intention to strengthen and deepen this history and become the top choice for those who wish to study and research in Oxford.
Your new role
Pembroke College has a turnover of £11m and an endowment of £65m. It is a Charity and by Charity standards, it is a large organisation that requires sophisticated and sensitive management.
The Deputy College Accountant will perform financial line functions, and occasionally deputise for the College Accountant. There is opportunity to learn about both the financial management of a charity in the HE sector and Charity SORP accounting.
What you'll need to succeed
Full or part qualified Accountant. Candidate will need to demonstrate strong experience of or at least an ability to quickly assimilate:-
1. Management accounting
2. Financial, costing and budget management
3. Use of accounting and reporting software
4. Reconciliation of control accounts for Balance Sheet and for Income & Expenditure
5. Some supervisory experience
6. Accounting for Fixed Assets and maintaining Fixed Asset Registers
7. Working in a finance team
1. At least one Windows-based accounting software package
2. Financial accounting principles
3. Costing and budgetary processes
4. Accruals & prepayments
1. Advanced use of Microsoft Excel spread sheets, practical knowledge of Word and Outlook
2. Ability to manipulate data from database and run reports
3. Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise work, be self-motivated and able to work on own initiative, together with organisation of work performed by other people
4. Ability to initiate, investigate and implement process changes which impact on other teams in order to improve the efficiency of the finance team
5. Teamwork - work co-operatively and productively with others and provide support to aid team development
6. Strong written communication skills, able to prepare written procedures and assist with internal presentations 7. Good oral skills to communicate with all levels in the organisation and explain technical or financial aspects
8. Strong numeracy
9. Accuracy and attention to detail
10. Good problem solving
11. Calm under pressure
1. Knowledge of Charity SORP accounting
2. Knowledge of special VAT applications relevant to the charities sector
3. Previous accounting experience in Higher Education
What you'll get in return
The salary will be circa £40,000 per annum for a 37.5 hour week. Benefits of working for the College include 30 days holiday, the option to join a University pension scheme and one free meal a day whilst on duty and the kitchens are open.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.