Opportunities for Qualified Accountants
Amazon.co.uk opened its virtual doors in October 1998 and is now much more than an online retailer. We strive to be the world’s most customer-centric company and it is an environment where you can really make a difference and be more than an Accountant.
We are seeking to recruit the following finance positions to become major contributors to our Accounting team and the wider business. Whilst each position has its specific responsibilities, they will all involve additional projects and owning process improvement initiatives.
Candidates for these positions will ideally have held supervisory/management positions in companies with more than one billion in annual revenues and have worked for a big four public accounting firm at the senior accountant level. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate they were top performers at their level and should be passionate and excited about accounting and reporting.
Senior Finance Analyst (EU Retail Accounting)
A mix of operational and project based new business accounting responsibilities including:
- Preparation of various deliverables to support both internal and external financial reporting needs, including analytic commentary and the preparation of supplementary financial analysis for management and other stakeholders.
- Preparation and review of monthly Balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Assisting with month end close processes, ensuring that relevant US deadlines are met
Senior Financial Analyst - UK Accounting - Operations and Compliance
A mix of compliance and operational corporate accounting responsibilities including:
- Month-end general ledger close activities for UK operational expenses, assets and liabilities including balance sheet account reconciliations and reviews
- Review of monthly results / deliverables, financial controls (COSO) and processes of UK non-integrated subsidiaries
- Direct input into US GAAP, UK GAAP and future IFRS accounting policies
- Preparation of multiple UK statutory accounts from trial balance and preparation/co-ordination of audit deliverables, maintaining adherence to statutory timelines, SOX compliance and filings (VAT returns, grant maintenance, etc.)
Finance Manager – Transportation Accounting
- You will drive robust accounting and controllership in a growing and complex area of Amazon's business. This position will be critical to guiding the alignment of processes used to control the accounting, invoicing, and payment of millions of inbound and outbound shipments a month with responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Work closely with Business partners internationally to identify and implement opportunities for building a robust, scalable transportation accounting and accrual process, whilst ensuring the highest standards of controllership, and ensure global consistency and efficiency.
- Lead reviews of the Transportation financial statements - mainly the Balance Sheet (but also the P&L) including but not limited to deep analysis and review of accruals and other Balance sheet accounts related to transportation activity.
- Promptly identifying, explaining, proposing and implementing actions that will mitigate risks/challenges to the Transportation process and financials, and providing recommendations for, as well as implementing, remedial actions where necessary.
- Contribute at the highest level to the success of a small team to accurately close the books each month within tight timelines for multiple geographies, currencies, product lines, and P&L categories.
Traits we are looking for in a candidate are a strong desire to exceed expectations, effective interpersonal skills; including persuasive written and oral communication, solid organizational skills, ability to assess and manage risk, and willingness to get into the details whilst also seeing and understanding the big picture.
Bsc/ BA required. Ideally a qualified accountant (CPA / ACCA / ACA / CIMA) with a knowledge of various GAAP accounting rules including US GAAP and IFRS.
Knowledge of Oracle, Hyperian Essbase, Cognos, database structures and SQL are an advantage.
Experience working in a fast paced environment similar to a high tech start-up
A demonstrated history of solving multiple and complex operational and accounting challenges
Excellent analytical skills
Hands on experience of preparing internal and external reporting
In return, we will offer you an attractive package including basic salary, stock units, and other excellent benefits including healthcare. You will also have the opportunity to develop a rewarding career with one of the UK's leading online retailers.