Investment & Treasury Planning Manager
At Direct Line Group, we're shaping the future. With a mission to make insurance easier and better value for our customers, we embrace change in all its richness and variety. It's not just what we do; it's how we do it. We bring our whole selves to work every day and embrace fresh thinking - after all, Britain is constantly changing and to protect the nation, we adapt with it.
Across our diverse brands - including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege and Green Flag - change takes many forms. We appreciate the knowledge and skills that each one of us brings to the business. It's hard not to be inspired by the things that make us unique. Boldness, curiosity and enthusiasm go a long way. And they're helping us transform the industry we lead.
Investment & Treasury Planning Manager
We have a fantastic opportunity to join our Investment & Treasury area of DLG on a permanent basis as an Investment & Treasury Planning Manager based from our head office in Bromley.
You will act as a business partner to the front office investment managers who own the in-house portfolios/external portfolio relationships and work with the treasury manager to ensure sufficient cashflow availability for the business.
Monitoring and challenging external fund manager investment activity you will ensure actions do not jeopardise forecasted yields and investment income ensuring forecast accuracy whilst monitoring and reporting on the P&L result generated by Investment & Treasury activities.
You will also oversee the coordination and delivery of management information to key stakeholders and therefore will need to have a strong commercial mind coupled with a strong analytical skillset.
What being an Investment & Treasury Planning Manager involves
- Maintain a robust, efficient investment forecasting model to deliver timely and accurate budgeted income and expense numbers generated by Investment & Treasury activity. Ensure the model developed is user friendly, not key man dependent and has the ability to perform sensitivity analyses (e.g. Solvency II stress tests).
- Provide updates to investor relations and the strategy functions to ensure there are no market surprises in terms of DLG investment income and return performance. Undertake analysis/calculations which produce indicative performance numbers to guide markets expectations.
- Coordinate the delivery of Investment & Treasury inputs (e.g. economic assumptions, investment income forecasts, cash flow assumptions) to DLG budgeting and forecasting exercises. Take responsibility for delivering numbers and supporting commentary. Coordinate relevant internal approvals within Investment & Treasury for information released. Support the Head of Investment Systems, Reporting and Controls in all interaction required with other functions (e.g. Decision Support, Investor Relations, Finance Director, business MDs) to ensure a clear understanding of Investment & Treasury inputs and respond to challenges.
- Lead the design and coordinate delivery of monthly Investment & Treasury reports issued to key stakeholders (Risk, Finance Director, Executive Committee, Board). Be responsible for management reports covering budget/ forecast versus actual results for income and expenses.
- Attend weekly market meetings with front office to discuss investment activity and ensure actions do not deviate from plan.
- Provide detailed financial scenario analysis on a wide range of topics to support decision making by the Director of Investment Management & Treasury.
- Provide support with the delivery of asset liability management (ALM) studies and recommendations. Specific responsibilities include ensuring close and coordinated liaison of the necessary work across Actuarial, Risk, Capital Modelling teams and external parties (where involved), modelling of financial implications from proposed ALM recommendations,
- Represent Investment Management & Treasury in Budgeting & Forecasting meetings and WD5 results calls as well as responsibility for co-ordinating and maintaining the investment allocation model for the income statement at a segmental reporting level.
Skills we are looking for
- Qualified Accountant with good understanding of budgeting and forecasting.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills, good attention to detail and previous experience of producing MI for senior management.
- Comprehensive understanding of Investment and Treasury products.
- · Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- · Bloomberg / TM1 experience/knowledge would be beneficial.