The Architectural Heritage Fund
The AHF is a leading heritage charity founded in 1976 to help communities across the UK find solutions for vulnerable historic buildings. We support projects that enable more people to enjoy the cultural, social and economic benefits of architectural heritage. We do this by offering advice, grants and loans. We are the UK’s leading heritage social investor and the only specialist heritage lender.
As our business expands, we are currently seeking to appoint a part-time Finance Manager to work closely with the Board and the Chief Executive to help ensure effective financial planning, control and management within the charity. The role will particularly suit an individual who is looking for an interesting and varied part-time position.
We are looking for a highly motivated and forward-thinking finance professional with robust technical skills to provide high quality support to the charity to ensure future growth, stability and success. We particularly want someone who shares our passion for the social benefits of heritage.
This is a unique opportunity to join an ambitious, innovative and successful values-driven organisation - one of the most respected heritage charities in the country - and help make a positive impact on the lives of millions of people across the UK.
Skills and Characteristics
The ideal person is able to:
- Supervise and organise standard financial accounting and bookkeeping duties, including payroll, loan and grant disbursements, and processing accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- Provide AHF Trustees, the Chief Executive and other staff with reliable and timely financial information and analysis, including the preparation of financial reports, cash flow statements, budgets and monthly account reports.
- Lead on the relationship with auditors and the preparation of statutory accounts, and assist the Chief Executive with the preparation of the AHF’s annual report.
- Where time permits, work with the AHF Chief Executive and Audit & Risk Committee to further develop the AHF’s financial systems and procedures to help deliver the AHF’s strategy for improved internal financial controls and to ensure full compliance with CC8 and Charity SORP, and FCA requirements and expectations.
- Use SAGE accounting and MS office packages, specifically Excel and PowerPoint for the presentation of company financial data.
- Communicate effectively and clearly, and play an active role in the development of the AHF as a key member of the Senior Management Team.
- Stay focussed on AHF’s mission and objectives.
The AHF is seeking to achieve greater reach and impact so we can continue to be the organisation of choice for communities that wish to make better use of their architectural heritage. We have recently undertaken a far-reaching study of the social impact achieved through our activities, and our work has been recognised by significant government investment. We are looking for a Finance Manager to support our work and to maintain the integrity of the AHF’s financial records.
You will apply excellent organisational and customer support skills to help ensure the AHF’s finance function runs smoothly and meets the requirements of our clients and funders. You will ideally possess significant experience in financial accounting at a senior level and you will be appropriately qualified (ACA/ACCA/CIMA/CIPFA). In return, you will enjoy the opportunity to have real strategic input as part of a diverse role within an organisation that strives to impact small organisations in the voluntary sector.
Above all, you will be committed to our values and objectives and be willing to develop your knowledge of the context in which we operate.
The post is for two days per week and therefore is ideally suited to a professional who is either coming back to work part-time from a career break or who is looking for a phased move towards retirement.
Reports to: Chief Executive
Hours: 14 hours Monday to Friday (between 9.30am and 5.30pm)
Annual Leave: 25 days plus public holidays (pro-rata)
Benefits: 8% employer’s contribution to pension scheme and life assurance
For more details
Contact Ian Morrison, Chief Executive on 020 7925 0199
Please send an up-to-date CV together with a covering letter that clearly explains your experience, how you meet the person specification and your interest in the vacancy to:
Ruth Johnson, Business Administrator at the address below, or by email to
The closing date for applications is midnight, 9 April 2017.
Apply for Finance Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly