This job is no longer available
The London Playing Fields Foundation is the leading charity for the provision, protection and promotion of playing fields in London. We believe that protecting playing fields improves the lives of local people, especially those from disadvantaged and under-represented groups. Our aim is to widen participation in grassroots sport by providing facilities that are accessible, affordable and attractive.
We require an enthusiastic and suitably qualified and experienced individual to assume the role of Finance Officer following the retirement of the current postholder. You will require experience of working in a financial role and be a qualified accountant.
The role – Job Description
1. Prepare an annual budget for the Finance and General Purposes Committee approval and implement appropriate financial systems for proper budgetary and cashflow control.
2. Keep the charity’s books and financial records, monitor the financial position and report to staff and to the F&GP Committee regularly, identifying and reporting any matters which should be drawn to the Committee’s attention in a timely manner.
3. Monitor the charity’s fund generation strategy to support its development and business plans and ensure the implementation. Contribute to fundraising applications and initiatives.
4. Monitor the performance of the Investment Manager and present their figures to the F&GP Committee.
5. Ensure that the charity has proper arrangements for handling of the funds, including banking, invoicing, payments, and online banking and cheque requisitions / writing.
6. Liaise with Companies House and the Charity Commission with regard to the general company and charity administration and ensure timely filing of all reports, returns and accounts as required.
7. Develop emergency systems and written procedures designed to ensure that so far as is reasonably possible the charity remains able to meet its essential financial governance and charitable liabilities in the event of your or the Chief Executive’s absence.
8. Ensure debt collection.
9. Assume ultimate responsibility for ensuring the charity is fully and properly insured.
10. Ensure the payment of staff and attend to payroll / Inland Revenue matters including in the future the administration of the pensions and any staff loans.
11. Ensure the appropriate retention of staff records.
12. Ensure that the complicated VAT calculation and submission are carried out in a timely manner so that the returns and payments are done on time.
EXPERIENCE/KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
· Financial experience of running a small company or charity with involvement in strategic thinking
· Experience of preparing statutory accounts and dealing with external auditors and annual audit
· A qualified accountant (ACCA, CIMA or ACA)
· An understanding of the current issues facing the Charity World and its accounting practices
· Ability to read and understand financial information.
· Demonstrable understanding of the regulatory requirements governing LPFF’s financial and charitable practice management under the Charity Commission
· Reasonable level of computer literacy and word processing skills
· Understanding of and a commitment to equal opportunities and ability to apply this understanding to the job
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
· An understanding of and commitment to the aims and values of LPFF
· Higher professional financial qualifications
· Knowledge and experience of grant making bodies and their funding criteria
· A hands-on approach with the ability and experience of day to day accounts detail
· Willingness and ability to take day to day responsibility of LPFF’s financial operation
· Willingness and ability to work with LPFF’s existing staff team to discharge the collective management of LPFF
· Self-motivation with the ability to prioritise
· Willingness and ability to be flexible about working hours as necessary
The closing date for applications for the post of Finance Officer is 15th June.
Whilst all applications will be carefully considered, if you do not hear from LPFF within one week of the closing date, please note you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
All successful candidates will be contacted within one week of the closing date and interviews will take place at the LPFF Head Office on 27th June.
The post will commence on 1st September 2012.
Further application details are provided in the Job Pack.
Information about the charity's work is available on our website www.lpff.org.uk