Capital Gardens is London's largest group of independent garden centres with roots going back to 1982 when the current Managing Director and his wife, started a landscape business in Battersea, south London. Throughout the past 30 years the business has expanded through acquisition and the sale of equity to achieve it's current market position of five garden centres, a garden maintenance business and an internet sales business with a group turnover of circa 8m and around 125 employees. The Head Office with a total of nine personnel is located at Highgate North London, this includes the accounts department, a team of five people including the current Financial Director.
The business is currently looking to recruit a talented Qualified Accountant to join them as Finance Director. Reporting to the MD, the Finance Director will take full ownership for the Group's finance function alongside guiding and mentoring the team and providing sound financial advice to the MD and Board. In addition, the FD will take ownership for the Internet Retail Business with a view to improving processes and procedures, sales growth and profit.
Responsibilities will include:
- to supervise and produce timely full and accurate monthly management accounts, financial audit, accounting procedures and control systems in order to monitor the financial performance and operations of the Company, including cash control, adherence to budget, levels of expenditure and cost of sales etc
- to prepare an annual budget with the Executive Directors and present this to the Board for it's approval
- to produce and present to the Board financial statements and reports that are deemed necessary by the Board
- to ensure that constructive relationships are maintained with key outside bodies including auditors, relevant tax departments, VAT, PAYE, tenants and important suppliers
- to maintain and develop a constructive working relationship with the Company's bankers
- oversee and develop the maintenance of a fully computerised account system ensuring appropriate records are filed and stored each working day
- supervise, maintain and develop the Company's E.P.O.S system , ensuring full integration between the garden centres themselves and the internet business.
- oversee the financial and technical operations of the e commerce business.
We are looking for an articulate, business orientated, qualified accountant with a strong academic track record and proven post qualification experience gained within a similar sized business. Candidates will have outstanding technical accounting capability as a given, and will be able to demonstrate provision of expert strategic advice, operational support and driving the growth of the business forward. Experience within an Ecommerce Retail Business and the control of an EPOS system will be a distinct advantage.
This role presents an exciting opportunity to join a rather unique retail business with the chance to add true value to future growth. For more information, please submit your CV.