Do you have these skills? Then we need you !
We’re looking for business people who have:
• An interest in helping local community based charitable organisations
• Some common sense experience in marketing and telling a compelling and interesting story to help charities identify targets with appropriate fundraising messages
• The ability to ask good questions which will challenge charities to develop a value proposition to donors
• Some awareness of social media or simple databases would be useful but is not essential
• Good PC and internet skills
We are especially keen on volunteers with financial advisory skills. Many organisations will be securing donated money for the first time and may not have the business skills or financial knowledge necessary to handle such contributions efficiently.
What can you gain from being a volunteer mentor?
Being a volunteer mentor is a great way to share your experience by supporting another individual as they grow their charity or community group. You’ll have the experience of developing a unique relationship while you grow both personally and professionally by sharing information, skills, attitudes and behaviours.
• Get a fresh perspective on your own work
• Potentially, expand your professional network and gain more visibility
• Invest in the sustainability of charities
• Make a valuable contribution to your local community
And you gain all this by just giving a little of your time.
What will you be doing?
You will work closely with the charity to help them to market themselves, prepare for our local Match Fund campaigns and raise funds on Localgiving.com as follows:
• Ensure they have an updated Localgiving.com page that is appealing to donors - good photos, informative and updated text, inviting donation examples, updated information on their projects etc. The page is simple to update and you could even bring a camera to help them get some good images
• Help them to engage with their supporters and community - friends, family, trustees, neighbours and businesses
• Help them with their social media presence - Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, LinkedIn – or invite a young person along if this is not your area of expertise!
• Encourage them to send regular e-newsletters and promote their charity in the local press
• Encourage local organisations and businesses to become involved with the charity and help build their contact list
We give you training on Localgiving.com’s functionality, and support you along the way so that you will have all the tools at hand to make your volunteering more effective.
Please note each charitable organisation that appears on Localgiving.com has been validated by our partners, either their local Community Foundation or the Community Foundation Network in a process approved by the Charity Commission.
How much time will it take?
The volunteering is designed to be flexible and fit around your work schedule. We will ask you to:
• attend an initial briefing session that lasts about 1 – 2 hours
• then aim to spend an hour or two with your charity each week for a set period of time (to be agreed at the outset)
You decide how many hours you spend. You may be interested in helping a particular cause and, where possible, we would like to facilitate this.